Content

May 5, 2015

Crochet School at Grandma's House

About a year ago I introduced my grandson, Joseph, and his sister Charlotte to crochet. They were 10 and 8 at the time. I worked with them only a few times, not enough for either of them to really get it, to be independent with the skill, but they both became quite proficient with the chain stitch. We had chains long enough to tie somebody up! They were becoming comfortable with holding the hook and controlling the tension of the yarn. They both advanced to the single crochet stitch pretty quickly.

Recently, I babysat for Charlotte and her 2 year old brother, Peter, for the greater part of a day. I thought if Charlotte was game we could work on crochet while Peter napped.

I love to crochet and I love it when others love to crochet. And anything I can do to promote crochet is right up my alley. When I think of all the pleasure I've received over the years creating with a simple hook and yarn I want to spread the word!

My plan was to teach her how to crochet a granny square. That was what I first learned to make when my mother taught me. I didn't know if that would be possible in one sitting or if I'd need to break it up over several but learning to crochet a granny square was my goal. A granny square is pretty easy to do given that the pattern is repetitive and easily memorized, and the only crochet stitches needed are the chain and the double crochet.

We worked together several times over the day. It took her no time at all to master single crochet and once she had that down double crochet was a breeze. Yes, crochet is not difficult. Even a 9 year old can do it!

It was so fun to watch Charlotte with her hook and yarn. She was seriously into this. One big smile from beginning to end.

She crocheted a three round granny square! We were both almost squealing we were so thrilled.

What do you think of her first attempt?

Charlotte's first granny square!

I showed her numerous pictures of granny squares on Pinterest, many different variations of the simple square which only excited her all the more. There was much "ooo-ing and ahh-ing" going on, and smiles and excitement. She was definitely catching the crochet bug and all the possibilities, and I was so happy for the part I played.

She couldn't wait to show mom. And she couldn't wait to learn more...

"How do you change colors?"

"When can we do this again?"

I was not going to let her enthusiasm wane but planned to get together with her again, but next time, if he was interested, include Joseph too! And he was!

We had a short lesson several days later, reviewing the basic stitches. Joseph was surprised how quickly he picked up where he left off, even though it had been months since we had worked together. He graduated to the double crochet stitch in a flash! I told him crocheting is like riding a bike. Once you know how, you never forget!

Today was our next lesson. The plan was for both of them to make a three round granny square with a color change. After they chose the colors of yarn they wanted from my extensive stash we jumped in!

Charlotte's second granny square, with 2 colors!

Joseph's first ever granny square and with 2 colors!

I don't know who's more thrilled, the two of them or me! 


My plan is to continue working with them as long as they're interested which I'm hoping will be for some time to come. I'll keep you posted!

Crochet is not difficult to learn and there are so many opportunities to learn the art. Often craft or yarn stores offer classes, but if not You Tube has many tutorials. This one and this one are excellent for beginners, who have no previous experience, and there are many, many more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by email, RSS, Google...

Archive/ Archivo

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews