Content

Jun 29, 2015

Rainy Days and Mondays

Has it been raining a lot where you live? Here in the Midwest, USA, central Illinois to be exact, it has rained and rained and rained lately. In fact we've had twice the normal rain for June. Twice! I know this is a sensitive subject for those of you who happen to reside on the West coast. If there were any way I could send the rain clouds your way I would surely do it. The mosquitoes love the rain. And don't even get me started about the weeds! I am pretty sure you can almost see them growing.

Do you remember The Carpenter's song, Rainy Days and Mondays? For some reason that song has been stuck in my head. It really does have a catchy tune. It was a favorite of mine when it was first released waaaaay back in 1971! Yes, I go back a few years.

Recently my two year old grandson, Peter, spent the morning with me. I had planned to take him for a ride in the red wagon up to the park. Unfortunately it rained and rained the whole time he was here. But he did manage to entertain himself watching the rain...


sitting in the high chair for a better vantage point, wearing Grandpa's Detroit Tigers' baseball cap, backwards of course. He wore it the entire time he was here and only agreed to take it off when Daddy picked him up and offered him his St. Louis Cardinals' baseball cap in exchange. Do you think there might be a little bit of sports rivalry in the family?


He pointed out every car and every bird and every truck (it was trash pick-up in the neighborhood) that passed by the house. I don't think he missed a thing!

And recently on a walk I passed by a little creek near my house which normally just trickles water. But look at it now...


Is that white water I see? Well, for this little creek it most certainly IS white water!

We've even had hail along with our thunderstorms!


If you look closely you can see dime sized hail on the patio. OK, so it's not big enough to be featured on The Weather Channel. But it's still hail.

When you were a child did you ever run outside during or immediately after a hail storm and quickly grab as much of the hail as you could and freeze it? Surely I'm not the only person who has ever done that. What fun it was showing my friends the bowl full of the frozen hail days later.

The lyrics of Rainy Days and Mondays have a certain sadness about them: "Hanging around, nothing to do but frown, rainy days and Mondays always get me down."

I don't think Peter would agree. He's rather enjoying the rain!


2 comments:

  1. Yes, here in Houston we are having much more than usual rain... very loud storms... just today, for 10 minutes, we got soaked and wet in our way from the truck to ballet... it was a nice day though!
    This post made me smile. Peter is gorgeous, simply gorgeous.

    Oh, and I love the Carpenters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Silvia... I know Texas can have torrential rains but this year has been even more torrential for you...or should I say "yall".

    ReplyDelete

Follow by email, RSS, Google...

Archive/ Archivo

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews