Content

Mar 24, 2016

Reading Challenge 2016: Third Book

The third book I read was Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie. It falls under the category of a Classic Detective Novel in the Back to the Classics Reading Challenge 2016.

I've never really been a fan of detective novels. Never read any of Agatha Christie or Sherlock Holmes or any other detective stories before this one. I do enjoy the Poirot series done by Masterpiece Classic and have viewed almost every episode.  But reading any of them? No, haven't had even the slightest desire, until this reading challenge.


I do admit that in spite of my previous lack of interest in reading any of Christie's books I thoroughly enjoyed this one. And not until almost the very end of the book did I figure out the mystery. It was maybe a handful of pages before I reached the end. And not until the very end did the story seem familiar to me, like some time in the past I had probably seen the movie. I discovered also that David Suchet, the actor who plays Poirot in the Masterpiece series, flawlessly interprets the character of Inspector Poirot as Christie wrote him!

The story is about a murder that takes place on the Orient Express (hence the title). As all Poirot stories go the plot is impossible to figure out. Who could have done it seems unsolvable but not for Inspector Hercule Poirot. His reasoning ability and logic is far beyond the "normal" person. He sees things, understands little nuances, puts two and two together, and solves the crime!

Agatha Christie (1890-1976)
 What a fun book it was. Once the book was opened I could hardly put it down. I marvel at the genius of Agatha Christie. She was a prolific writer with 66 detective novels as well as 14 separate collections of short stories. What a mind she had!

I am pretty sure I will be reading more by her as my appetite has definitely been whetted!

2 comments:

  1. We love Poirot the series, the girls and I. I'm fond of Christie's Poirot titles more than Miss Marple, I have read a few, the most amazing to me it's the last book, The Curtain. Imo, the non Poirot titles are not as good, while the series is all amazing. I like how Poirot looks at things, and the cultural things the books and series teach us. We love the art deco, or whatever the era is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fan of the detective novel/mystery genre, I have read quite a few Christie titles. This one is particularly good and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

    I also love the PBS Mystery! series with Suchet. I totally agree that he brings Poirot to life as if he were sprung from the pages.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by email, RSS, Google...

Archive/ Archivo

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews